Top 10 undiscovered honeymoon destinations for 2019
Nov 14, 2018 5 min read
Here at Hitchd, we've been noticing a trend with couples choosing more unique, undiscovered, honeymoon destinations over mainstream locations.
For the past year, we've been collecting feedback from our real couples to find out exactly where they loved visiting most, splitting our findings up into four different categories; Adventure, romance, relaxation, and X-Factor.
Here are our most undiscovered honeymoon destinations to inspire your honeymoon in 2019.
Bhutan is a Buddhist kingdom on the Himalayas' eastern edge and known for its monasteries, fortresses and beautiful landscapes. It's a truly unique destination with unmatched scenery, distinct cuisine and an authentic, sustainable, view to tourism.
Bhutan's must-do activities
- Hike to the Tiger's Nest Monastery. It's a stunning temple built right on the edge of a cliff and has to be seen to be believed
- Explore Phobjikha Valley. Set on the western slopes of the black mountains, it's great for hikes, homestay's and gazing at the stars
- Join the locals in a game of Khuru. It's like a bigger, outdoor, version of darts.
Bhutan as a honeymoon destination
Adventure: 10/10 Romance: 7/10 Relaxation: 7/10 X-Factor: 10/10
9. Tel Aviv, Israel
Tel Aviv is a city on Israel's Mediterranean coast that is as diverse as they come. With its 14km strip of the shimmering seashore and new restaurants continually popping up, there's always a party to be found. From the historical sights of Jaffa to the bohemian streets of Florentin, there is something for every couple in this city.
Tel Aviv's must-do activities
- Take a walking tour of Jaffa. Discover traces from the Ottoman Empire and visit the clock tower built to honor a Turkish sultan.
- Explore the famous Flea Markets and take in the local cuisine
- Dine at North Abraxas restaurant, owned by the lively celebrity Chef, Eyal Shani.
Tel Aviv as a honeymoon destination
Adventure: 7/10 Romance: 8/10 Relaxation: 9/10 X-Factor: 8/10
8. Perast, Montenegro
Perast looks like a chunk of Venice floated down the Adriatic and anchored itself onto the bay. Still unknown to most tourists, Perast is a small, romantic city that makes it hard not to get caught up its breathtaking architecture, churches, and palazzos.
Perast's must-do activities
- Enjoy a glass of wine at Konoba Otok Bronza, it's got a stunning 12th-century cavelike interior
- Dine at Konoba Školji, the waterside Gill restaurant
- Take in the scenery with a private local tour.
Perast as a honeymoon destination
Adventure: 6/10 Romance: 10/10 Relaxation: 10/10 X-Factor: 9/10
7. Tallinn, Estonia
Estonia's capital Tallinn, the country's pride and joy, is full of medieval architecture that will captivate any couple. It's lively and absurdly photogenic, bursting with beautiful sights and hidden treasures.
Tallinn's must-do activities
- Go horseback riding through Tori Farm, the oldest of its kind in Estonia
- Hike the forest via the Oandu-Ikla hiking trail
- Dine at restaurant Ö, a Michelin Star restaurant offering its customers new kinds of Northern cuisine.
Tallinn as a honeymoon destination
Adventure: 9/10 Romance: 8/10 Relaxation: 6/10 X-Factor: 9/10
6. Wadi Rum, Jordan
Wadi Rum is the type of destination that could make you believe that you're on Mars. This truly unique location offers one of the easiest and safest glimpses of the desert and can be an unforgettable way of stripping back to basics.
Wadi Rum's must-do activities:
- Take a short drive to Petra, a historical and archaeological city among the mountains
- Camp out in a luxury bubble tent, the best way to experience the desert and see the stars
- Try Sand-boarding down the cavernous dunes for the adventurous at heart.
Wadi Rum as a honeymoon destination
Adventure: 10/10 Romance: 6/10 Relaxation: 8/10 X-Factor: 10/10
5. Sardinia, Italy
When you're after white sand and turquoise beaches, Sardinia is an option that many couples overlook. While it's technically a part of Italy, it has its own unique culture and cuisine. It's a fantastic honeymoon option and can easily be accessed with a 5-hour ferry ride from Rome.
Sardinia's must-do activities
- Visit Aruttas beach to take in its white sand. You'll need a car
- Experience the local nightlife. Spiaggia della Pelosa is known for its bars and clubs
- Taste the local seafood at one of the many waterside restaurants.
Sardinia as a honeymoon destination
Adventure: 9/10 Romance: 8/10 Relaxation: 8/10 X-Factor: 9/10
4. Taipei, Taiwan
Taipei, Taiwan's megacity, is home to an unforgettable skyline, beautiful geothermal countryside hikes, and amazing traditional food. It's the perfect destination for city explorers and foodies, since it changes dramatically based on which season you visit.
Taipei's must-do activities
- Snorkel the nearby reefs or swim with sea turtles in Xiaoliuqiu
- Take in a meal at one of the 20 Michelin star restaurants in Taipei
- Explore the night markets and barter with the local merchants
Taipei as a honeymoon destination
Adventure: 8/10 Romance: 4/10 Relaxation: 7/10 X-Factor: 7/10
3. Procida, Italy
Procida, the Bay of Naples' smallest best-kept secret, is home to a collection of colorful medieval seaside houses, town squares, and narrow, sun-bleached streets.
Procida's must-do activities
- Explore Terra Murata, a colorful, medieval, town built on the highest point of the island
- Stroll through Palazzo D'Avalos and explore its beautiful garden
- Taste the local cocktails at one of the many seaside bars.
Procida as a honeymoon destination
Adventure: 7/10 Romance: 9/10 Relaxation: 9/10 X-Factor: 9/10
2. Torres del Paine National Park, Chile
Torres del Paine National Park is known for its soaring mountains and bright blue icebergs. For the adventurous couple who want to experience nature fully, look no further.
Torres del Paine National Park's must-do activities
- Lodge the night at the famous Tiera Patagonia Hotel & Spa
- Visit the Glaciers by boat with one of the many day trip tour options
- Take a private tour with National Geographic.
Torres del Paine National Park, as a honeymoon destination
Adventure: 10/10 Romance: 5/10 Relaxation: 5/10 X-Factor: 10/10
1. Zhangye Danxia, China
Zhangye Danxia has become famous for its unusually colored rocks, which are the result of deposits of sandstone and other minerals that occurred over 24 million years. Couples from all over flock here to take their Instagram stories and soak in this genuinely unique wonder.
Zhangye Danxia's must-do activities
- Take a privately guided hiking tour
- Explore Pingshan Grand Canyon, listed as world top 5 canyons
- Discover rare Ming Dynasty calligraphy and 12th-century wooden architecture at the Dafo Temple of Zhangye.
Zhangye Danxia as a honeymoon destination
Adventure: 10/10 Romance: 7/10 Relaxation: 7/10 X-Factor: 10/10
Looking for the #1 way to fund your honeymoon?
Hitchd is a new type of honeymoon registry that helps fund your adventure of a lifetime. Think of us as your very own wishing well, Kickstarter, and travel planner, all rolled into one beautiful experience.